simplyscuba

Monday, May 10, 2010

Dive #76 : Rescue Diver Session 4, Mactan Island (Off Marigondon Beach), Philippines

So this was the last session of my course, including once more a "real life" scene where a diver started to signal for help from the distance, while I was chilling at the beach with no gear on. Then in split seconf you are supposed to think and act, whether it's smart to spend time gearing up, or would it be better just to gear up with fins and mask only and then go for help wuth some sort of floating device. Since it was a deeper spot (I supposed) and the dude could be sinking, I geared up with full gear and decided to make an underwater approach due to heavy waves and waterjet traffic on the surface. Off we go, the "tired diver" was sunk to the bottom, dragged him up, and started immediate rescue breath on the surface. This had to be done every five seconds, and in the meanwhile towing the diver to the surface as well as I could possibly could.

This had to at least look like real, since a couple of guys rushed from the shore to help me out. The victim had then to explain that this was just a simulation!

Overall a good course, even though I would have wanted some more unpredictable surprise scenarios. Now everything was explained beforehands and there was no real element of surprise. Yes, the scenarious were close to real life situations, but in reality nobody is going to explain you beforehands that hey, I will soon panic and sink, would you please rescue me?

However it feels great to advance as diver and I am looking forward to my nitrox and divemaster certifications.

1 comment:

strongestkarate said...

Hi Michelle,

Did you do your DM course at MSDC with Jens?
How was it?
I'm planning to take mine this month with Jens Hofmann at MSDC.

Please PM me at strongestkarate@gmail.com

Thank you