simplyscuba

Monday, May 17, 2010

Dive #79 : Adrian's Cove, Southern Leyte, Philippines

OK, this dive was planned to go to 45-50 meter range, which was quite a bit more that I was used to. However given the conditions and the recent training, I was confident I could manage it.

Instructor makes a safety check at 40m, I roger and we move to 50,2. My instructor Paul, a South-Korean navy seal with 10.000= dives asks if I want to continue deeper. I am tempted, but decide not to. We start a slow ascend.

No signs of narcosis, but changing diveplan spontaniously ain't my cup of cake. Looking back now I am happy I stayed cool headed.

The sites beauty was a bit left behind, since most of the concentration was dealing with the depth and possible consequences. Afterwrds I was told by the people who stayed at the 30 meter limit, that this was one of the best dives here with a wall, a lot of coves and overhangs, nicely covered bushes of black coral, staghorn corals and many sea squirts. I did enjoy the corals during ascend and saftey stop, but was worried about air (no nitrox at this depth baby). I am surprised actually why this dive was planned to be the deep dive, but given the extremist instructor I guess it was just his game.




Photos by Yvette Lee

The corals again (during ascent) were truly fantastic, zillions of small fish like in an aquarium, ut nothing really spectacular. (I mean, we saw 3 whale sharks [ to be posted ] earlier when snorkeling so bloody hell what could have been spectacular here anymore!??

Entry time 10:07, divetime 32min, max depth 50,2m, water temp 28 celcius (all Leyte dives with Mactan Dive Center)

No comments: